I'm a HUGE Google fan and I believe that if ever a company should take over the world, Google should be that company. They have completely revolutionized the internet and are solely responsible for the return of the dot com age.

Google has always focused on usability and have maintained the "Clean" approach to its design. Admittedly, Google seemed to have missed the mark with the design of its revolutionary email service, GMail.

The current look is horrid and though its probably the fastest email client around, with GREAT usability and boasts the most amazing labeling system, the "Clean" look just doesn't do it.

The answer: A simple CSS overwrite! Thats right, I used the word simple!

  • Add a firefox plugin called "Stylish"
  • Open the following link: http://www.naverniouk.com/design/gmail/gmail.css
  • Right click on the new icon at the bottom right hand corner of your Firefox Toolbar and select "Add Style to Stylish" and voila!
Its as SIMPLE as those 3 steps!



<--Before .......... After-->





The CSS is file is overwritten on your pc, so it has a ZERO EFFECT on the performance of your Gmail account and its FREE!

Sphere: Related Content

15 Opinions

  1. Anonymous // 29 May 2008 at 01:08

    Freaking wicked!!!

  2. HoTsTePPa // 29 May 2008 at 07:36

    Yup, I'm absolutely loving it!

  3. Nayana // 30 May 2008 at 13:17
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. HoTsTePPa // 30 May 2008 at 19:33

    @nayana - I read the comment before u deleted it, so I know that u love the skin too. Enjoy it dude!

    Welcome to my blog btw, check back often, cos I'm hoping to get more involved in tweaking so expect a few more articles with easy 1-2-3 type "fixes"!

  5. AngelConradie // 03 June 2008 at 19:42

    so i can't use the gmail skin without firefox!??!
    are you picking on me...

  6. HoTsTePPa // 03 June 2008 at 23:45

    Yeah, the skin only works in Firefox, sorry!

  7. Wogan May // 22 June 2008 at 21:57

    Dude ... wow ... Saw this in my feedreader when you posted it, but only now have I actually decided to give it a go.

    Excellent find! Now if only Gmail would release a desktop app - something to compete with Outlook and Thunderbird. That would own...

    ~ Wogan

  8. HoTsTePPa // 30 June 2008 at 20:04

    The is a global mobilization to have everything hosted and Google has been at the forefront of this, so a desktop app for mail by Google is VERY unlikely!

  9. Anonymous // 30 June 2008 at 21:00

    http://www.naverniouk.com/design/gmail/gmail.css

    does not work for me I just see script :(

  10. Anonymous // 30 June 2008 at 22:30

    @Emi - You need to install the plugin called Stylish for your firefox browser.

    Then open the link that shows the script and click on the little icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.

    I just tested it again and it works :)

  11. Steven // 04 July 2008 at 20:07

    Wow, I know nothing about CSS or what it takes to make a skin, but I just tried your skin and it's very cool!

    Nice job!

  12. Anonymous // 27 August 2008 at 01:39

    I just opened the link and got a page of code but I don't see where to click "add to stylish". Please help this looks like it would be awesome!!!

  13. HoTsTePPa // 01 September 2008 at 22:41

    @anonymous - You need to install the Stylish plugin for Firefox first. You can download it at the Stylish Plugin page here.

  14. Filya // 16 May 2009 at 20:53

    http://www.globexdesigns.com/gmail/gmail.css

  15. Anonymous // 11 August 2012 at 19:17

    Link broken :/